(6) Remove nut (25), spacer (26), key (27)
rotor of seal (23), shims (24) and washer (28).
Assemble the accessory gearcase assembly by
(7) Do not remove rings, studs, and inserts
reversing the disassembly sequence using figure 317 as
40) unless inspection
a guide and observing the following:
replacement is necessary.
a. When assembling seal (18) into retainer ( 15),
3-18. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair
a. Cleaning. Degrease parts with dry cleaning
(1) Using arbor press, press seal (18, fig. 3-
17) into retainer (15) and install ring (17) in retainer (15)
solvent (Fed Spec P-D-680 or equivalent) and dry
to secure seal (18), then install packing (16) onto
(2) Install assembled retainer into housing
(1) Inspect all metallic parts for corrosion,
and secure with washers (14) and nuts (13).
wear, nicks, cracks, burrs, and scratches.
(2) Inspect all threaded parts for worn,
crossed, stripped, or peened threads. Make certain that
all threaded parts turn freely on their mating parts and
do not bind.
(3) Inspect starter jaw for chips, breaks or
(4) Visually inspect housing assembly for
evidence of cracked housing, defective gears or
bearings. If these defects are present, the accessory
gearcase assembly must be overhauled at depot
(1) Replace packings and defective seals.
(2) Replace defective hardware and other
parts found to be defective by inspection.
(3) If inspection reveals a damaged stud or
insert, the damaged part shall be replaced as follows:
(a) Remove insert by drilling to a depth
equal to the thickness of the lockring with a drill equal in
diameter to that of the serrations between the lockring
and insert. Then remove the insert with an "easy-out"
Figure 3-18. Installation of seal.
(b) Remove stud by milling to a depth
b. Before assembling retainer (21) and seal (23),
equal to the thickness of the lockring with a hollow mill
equal in outside diameter to that of the root diameter of
determine amount of shims required for bearing pinch
the outer serrations less 0.0156 inch, then unthread the
and seal length, and assemble as follows: