screw for distributor block assembly can be-
and separate shell (56), spring (57), hub
(58), and spring (59), if necessary. Remove
key (60) from shaft.
(9) Lift out distributor block assembly
after removing four attaching screw and lock-
(25) Slide magnetic rotor assembly from
housing and slide drive end bearing (61)
(10) Remove spring (19) from end of stud
(balls and cage) from shaft. If necessary pull
(20) then unscrew and carefully remove stud
bearing inner race from shaft with bearing
(20) so suppressor (22) and spring (23) do
puller and remove shim (62) and washer.
not fall from stud (24).
(26) If necessary, pull inner race of bear-
ing (50) from rotor cam end with bearing
(11) Unscrew and remove insulator (21).
puller and remove washer (64) gear (65) and
Suppressor assembly consisting of suppressor
pin (66) from rotor (67).
(22), spring (23), and stud (24) may come
(27) Punch rotor drive and seal assembly
out with insulator (21) and can be separated
through outer end of housing and separate
after removal, or suppressor (22) and spring
washer (68), seal (69), and washer (70).
(23) can be removed from distributor block
(28) If necessary, remove dowel (71) from
after removal of insulator (21) and stud (24)
can be unscrewed and removed separately.
c. Cleaning. Wipe outside of magneto hous-
(12) Remove center brush and spring (25)
ing with solvent-dampened cloth and dry
from distributor block (26).
thoroughly. Clean all other parts with vac-
(13) Remove capacitor (27) from end cap
(30) together with seal (29) after removing
two attaching screw and lockwasher assem-
d. Inspection. Inspect bearings (47,
61). Inspect gaskets (14 and 15) for good
(14) Remove rotor and bearing support as-
condition. Inspect shaft (46) and gears (45
sembly after removing three attaching screws
and 65) for scoring and excessive wear. In-
spect distributor block (26) for cracks or
lockwasher (33) which will release lead from
splits and terminals for damaged threads. In-
coil (51) and also spring (34).
spect breaker points for pitting and burning.
(15) Remove wick and holder (35) after
Inspect capacitor (27) for splits, bulges, or
removing attaching screw and lockwasher as-
other signs of breakdown. Inspect impulse
sembly (36) together with flat washer (37).
coupling pawls and springs for good condition,
(16) Remove breaker arm assembly (38),
e. Repair. If slightly pitted, clean contact
and washer (41). Slide breaker arm wick (42)
points on points assembly (38) with fine-cut
from end of breaker arm.
file. Replace any other parts which do not
(17) Pull rotor (43) from shaft.
(18) Press gear and shaft assembly con-
f. reassembly. To reassemble magneto as-
sisting of gear (45) and shaft (46) from bear-
sembly, proceed as follows:
ing (47) after removing snap ring (44). Shaft
(1) Assemble rotor drive end seal assem-
(46) may be pressed from gear (45); how-
bly consisting of washer (70), seal (69), and
ever, these parts are not normally separated.
washer (68) and install in housing (72). In-
(19) Press or drive bearing (47) from sup-
stall dowel (71) in housing (72) if removed
port (49) after removing snap ring (48).
(20) Lift bearing (50) (balls and cage)
(2) Assemble pin (66), gear (65), and
from end of magnetic rotor shaft.
washer (64) on cam end of rotor (67) and
(21) Remove coil (51) after loosening two
press on inner race of bearing (50) if re-
set screw (52).
moved during disassembly.
(22) Unscrew and remove pin (53).
(3) Assemble washer (63) and shim (62)
(23) Bend ears of washer (55) flat and
on drive end of rotor shaft and press on inner
unscrew and remove nut (54) together with
race of bearing (61) if removed during dis-
washer (55) from rotor shaft to release im-
pulse coupling assembly,
(4) Slide drive end bearing (61) (balls
(24) Remove impulse coupling from shaft