(2) Starter solenoid can be tested for cur-
Attach bracket to case (46) with screw (16)
rent draw of both windings in parallel and
and washer (17).
draw of hold-in winding alone. Disconnect both
(17) Assemble insulating washer (31),
leads from main (larger) terminals. Ground
flat washer (30), lockwasher (29), and nut
terminal normally connected to starter to sol-
(28) on stud (34). Assemble insulating wash-
enoid case with jumper lead. Connect batteries,
er (26), flat washer (25), lockwasher (24)
and nut (23) on stud (27). Assemble insulat-
ing washer (21), flat washer (20), lockwasher
enoid case and smaller terminal. Connect volt-
meter between smaller terminal and case.
(19), and nut (18) on stud (22).
Slowly increase voltage to 12.0 volts. Am-
(18) Install cover (13) over stud assem-
meter should indicate between 27.0 and 30.0
blies and attach to bracket (35) with attach-
amps. Disconnect jumper lead grounding main
ing screw (14) and lockwasher (15).
(19) Slide plunger (12) into chamber in
o b t a i n 12.0 volts on voltmeter. Ammeter
coil and case (46). Hold solenoid assembly so
should indicate 4.75 to 5.75 amperes for cur-
plunger does not drop out and set assembly
rent draw of hold-in winding.
o n frame to starter inserting s t u d (22)
through link (94) on starter frame. Attach
nut (7) and washer (8) to stud at link; four
a. Removal and Installation. Refer to para-
mounting bolts (11) attaching solenoid to
graph 3-33 to remove and install the magneto.
starter frame; and pin (10) and clip (9) at-
taching plunger (12) to shift lever (78).
(20) Measure brush-spring tension. Cor-
with lockwasher (2) and disconnect lead at
rect brush-spring tension is 24 ounces. Install
feed-through capacitor (27).
( 2 ) Remove screw (3) together with
(21) Attach starter motor and solenoid as-
washers (4, 5, and 6) and carefully separate
sembly to engine adapter plate with spacer
magneto from gear cover. If magneto is not
(6) and three attaching screws (4) and lock-
being removed in normal order of disassembly,
perform step 3 before removing magneto.
(22) After installation of wiring harness,
(3) If magneto is not being removed in
connect lead to stud (34) with attaching nut
normal order of disassembly loosen screw (5,
to free top
of magneto. Remove cover
(3). Connect lead and battery cable to stud
(27) with attaching nut (1) and lockwasher
(23) Place three to five drops of oil con-
knobs (10) and disconnect ignition leads at
forming to Military Specification VV-0-526 in
distributor block. Unscrew coupling nuts and
oilers (69 and 86).
disconnect ignition cables at distributor end
(1) Subject starter motor to no-load and
(4) Carefully remove gasket (11), spacer
lock-torque test using equipment shown in fig-
(12), and gasket (13) from magneto.
ure 319. For no-load test, connect motor in
(5) Carefully remove lead gasket (14)
series with battery with which motor will be
from end cap.
installed, ammeter capable of reading 500
(6) Remove end cap assembly after re-
amperes, and low-resistance, high-wattage,
moving four attaching screw and lockwasher
variable resistor. With brake arm disconnected
and with 23.5 volts applied to input terminal,
(7) Carefully remove lead gasket (15)
motor should rotate at 2,500 rpm and should
draw maximum of 35 amperes. For lock test
(8) Remove vent cover (16) and screens
connect brake arm to starter pinion and ap-
(18) after removing attaching screws (17)
ply 19.1 volts to input terminal. Motor should
from both sides of end cap (30). Vent on en-
draw 265 amperes and scale should indicate
gine side has no cover over screen but attach-
ing screw must be removed before attaching