c. Start engine in accordance with para-
signed to use salt water. However, salt water
may be used in an emergency.
b. Coat all exposed polished surfaces with
d. Close side doors and adjust shutter con-
an approved rust proofing material or cover
trol to maintain proper engine operating tem-
parts with a thin coat of grease. All exposed
non-polished surfaces may be coated with a
e. Begin usual welding operations.
thin layer of grease.
Section VI. OPERATION OF AUXILIARY MATERIAL USED IN
CONJUNCTION WITH WELDING MACHINE
(4) Place new cylinder through instruc-
a. Description. The monobromotrifluoro-
(5) Replace safety pin in valve and seal
methane type fire extinguisher is generally
pin with sealing wire.
suitable for use on all types of fire, with the
( 6 ) Lubricate cylinder neck threads with
exception of fires involving LOX (liquid oxy-
1 drop of OE 30 oil before reassembly.
gen) generating equipment. The fire extin-
(7) Attach valve assembly and tighten
guisher is furnished with a disposable-type
swivel coupling nut on the new cylinder and
place fire extinguisher in mounting bracket.
b. Operation. To operate the fire extin-
(8) Adjust instruction band on cylinder
guisher, perform the following operations:
to show maintenance and operating instruc-
(1) Remove the fire extinguisher from its
(2) Break the seal by pulling the safety
d. Maintenance. Weigh fire extinguisher
pin from the handle.
every 3 months and replace cylinder if gross
(3) Point the horn at the base of the
weight has decreased 4 ounces or more.
(4) Depress the trigger for discharge and
direct the stream of content at the base of
2-22. Cold Weather Starting Aid (Model
LEW 300 only)
(5) Replace with a new cylinder imme-
The cold weather starting aid consists of a
diately after using.
capsule containing ether, It is activated when
c. Replacement of Cylinder. To replace cyl-
inder, perform the following:
action punctures the capsule and sends ether
(1) Press lever to release pressure from
into the intake manifold.
(2) Loosen swivel valve coupling nut and
2-23. Coolant Heater (Model LEW 300 only)
remove valve assembly from used cylinder.
(3) Remove instruction band from used
heater during cold weather operation.