Section IV. OPERATION OF AUXILIARY MATERIEL USED IN
CONJUNCTION WITH WELDING MACHINE
22. Fire Extinguisher (Monobromotrifluoro-
(7) Adjust instruction band on cylinder to show
maintenance and operating instructions.
a. Description. The monobromotrifluoromethane
d. Maintenance. Weigh fire extinguisher every'3
type fire extinguisher is generally suitable for use on all
months and replace cylinder if gross weight has
types of fire, with the exception of fires involving LOX
decreased 4 ounces or more. Lubricate cylinder neck
(liquid oxygen) generating equipment.
threads with 1 drop of OE 30 oil before reassembly.
extinguisher is furnished with a disposable-type cylinder.
b. Operation. To operate the fire extinguisher,
23. Fire Extinguisher (Carbon Dioxide Type)
perform the following operations:
a. Description. The carbon dioxide type of fire
(1) Remove the fire extinguisher from its location.
extinguisher is suitable for electrical and flammable
liquid fires. The carbon dioxide types are of the 4-
(2) Break the seal by pulling the safety pin from the
pound, 7-1/2 pound, 10pound, and 15-pound sizes. The
4-pound extinguisher is portable; the other three are the
(3) Point the horn at the base of the flame.
(4) Depress the trigger for discharge and direct the
b. Operation. Remove fire extinguisher from its
stream of content at the base of the fire.
location, break the seal, operate the control valve, and
(5) Replace with a new cylinder immediately after
direct the stream at the base of the flame.
For maintenance of the fire
c. Replacement of Cylinder. To replace cylinder,
extinguishers, refer to TM 5-687 and TM 9-1799.
perform the following:
(1) Press lever to release pressure from used
24. Winterization Heater
a. General. The heater is a gasoline-burning unit
(2) Loosen swivel valve coupling nut and remove
designed to preheat the coolant of the engine in
valve assembly from used cylinder.
preparation for starting at extremely low temperatures.
(3) Remove instruction band from used cylinder.
This heater may also, be used as a standby coolant
(4) Place new cylinder through instruction band.
heater to prevent freezing during periods when the
(5) Replace safety pin in valve and seal pin with
engine is not in use, and it is not desired to add
antifreeze or to drain the cooling system.
(6) Attach valve assembly and tighten swivel
b. Operation. Refer to figure 10 for instructions for
coupling nut on the new cylinder and place fire
operating the heater.
extinguisher in mounting bracket.