(5) Set the continuous current control to the desired
electrode is pulled away, the current will cut
down to a lower figure, cooling the puddle and
letting the metal solidify. The "in" and "out"
(6) Strike an arc.
motion, combined with the normal whipping
(7) If the arc is too weak, turn the job, selector up.
technique, gives the operator complete control
If the arc is too cold, turn the current control up
over the puddle during vertical and overhead
10 or 20 amperes and turn the job selector
(2) When welding down hand, or for sheet-metal
application, no change of current is desired.
Do not maintain arc while changing
During welding for this purpose, the job selector
the current control.
should be set in the NORMAL WELDING or
(8) If, when the correct current is obtained, the job
LARGE ELECTRODE position. Little current
selector is positioned beyond the desired
change will result from lengthening or
setting, adjust the current control up and return
shortening the arc when the job selector is set in
the job selector to the desired setting, so that
the necessary arc can be produced.
16. Operation in Extreme Cold (Below 0°F.)
Do not perform a welding operation
a. General. This welding machine is designed to
without a welder's helmet. The flash
operate in temperatures as low as -65° F. To operate
of the welding arc can cause injury
successfully in cold weather, utilize the engine
to the eyes.
(3) The recommended current setting per electrode
size is found in table II.
Do not touch metal parts with bare
Table II. Recommended Current Per Electrode Size.
hands in extremely cold weather.
(1) Lubrication. Lubricate the engine in accordance
with the current lubrication order.
(2) Cooling system. Inspect the engine coolant to
be sure that it contains the correct amount of
antifreeze. Before adding the initial antifreeze,
clean and flush. the entire cooling system (par.
47). Inspect the cooling system components for
signs of leaks or other damage. Inspect the
shutter control for proper operation.
d. Dual Control. Dual control of amperage and
voltage can be accomplished by the use of the job
Do not bend or kink coolant hoses
selector and the continuous current control. The dual
during cold weather. Rubber hoses
control is utilized by the following steps:
will become brittle in extreme cold
(1) Place the polarity switch (fig. 4) in the OFF
and break with excessive handling.
(3) Fuel system. Keep the fuel tank as full as
(2) Start the engine (par. 13) and allow it to warm
Any water that forms in the fuel tank will be
carried to the fuel filter. It may be necessary to
(3) Place the polarity switch in the ON position.
drain the fuel filter more frequently than under
(4) Set the job selector (fig. 4) to the desired
marked position of the dial.